Municipal and School Information
2018 Municipal Election Calendar
2018 School Election Calendar
2018 Combined City/School Election Calendar
Learn how to circulate a Municipal Nominating Petition
*Signature requirements can be found at SDCL 9-13-9
- First and Second Class cities
- At large candidates need a minimum of 15 signatures per each thousand or major fraction of the population. No more than 50 signatures required.
- Alderman (Wards) candidates need a minimum of 5% of the registered voters of the ward. This percentage is based upon the total number of registered voters voting in the ward at the last preceding general election. The County Auditor will have to provide you with the total number for you to base the calculation off of. No more than 50 signatures required.
- Voters may sign as many petitions as there are positions.
- Third class cities
- At large candidates need a minimum of 10 signatures.
- Alderman (Wards) candidates need a minimum 5 signatures.
- Voters may sign as many petitions as they choose.
Municipal Nominating petition in Legal Size
Municipal Nominating petition in Letter Size
Learn how to circulate a School Board Nominating Petition
*A minimum of 20 signatures is required (SDCL 13-7-6)
School Board Nominating petition in Legal Size
School Board Nominating petition in Letter Size
Candidate Nominating Petition Validation Checklist
- Cities- please note that you are not required to check voter registration on nominating petitions.
- Schools- please note that you are required to check voter registration on nominating petitions. ARSD: 05:02:08:00
Absentee Voting Process for Cities
Absentee Voting Process for Schools
Click here for registration.
October 25, 2017 - In-person training at the Ramkota, Pierre, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm (Central time); Registration begins at 9:30; Working lunch
We will host two webinars on each date below (100 maximum attendees for each time). The webinar times are 9:30 am and 2:30 pm (Central time). Prior to each webinar we will send the login information to the SDML to forward to those that have pre-registered. Contact the SDML to register: 605-224-8654 (Lori Martinec) or email@example.com .
Webinar 1 (Tuesday, December 5th): est. 45+ minutes
- Election Types and Date (don’t forget to set your date)
- Combining elections vs. holding elections on the same day
- Election Calendar (appoint your election boards sooner rather than later)
- Precinct and Election Boards
- Public Notices (adding the optical scan notice)
- We will walk through our website and the Legislative Research Council’s site
Webinar 2 (Thursday, January 4th): est. 70+ minutes
- Candidate Eligibility Requirements
- Petitions - Forms, Deadlines, Signature Requirements (change for cities) and Counting Signatures (walk through the petition checklist). New petition challenge law.
- What if no one files?
- Financial Interest Statements (have to be filed every year now for applicable cities and schools)
- Vacancies - What Creates a Vacancy and How to Fill It
- Campaign Finance (for applicable cities and schools) - Who is Required to File, Restrictions, Disclaimers and Forms
Webinar 3 (Tuesday, March 6th): est. 35+ minutes
- Ballot Preparation
- Who Can Vote - Voter Registration and Residency
- Absentee Voting - Application, Voting In-Person or by Mail, UOCAVA Voters (walk through our handout)
Webinar 4 (Wednesday, March 7th): est. 1.5+ hours
- Election Worker Training - you can use this to train your election workers
- Walk through the Precinct Manual as a guide on “What to do on Election Day.”
Webinar 5 (Tuesday, March 13th): est. 25+ minutes
- What to ask your county auditor for (VR list, schools make sure to ask for all the counties your district covers)
- What should you, as the person in charge of the election, do on Election Day?
- Counting, Canvassing and Recounting - Provisional Ballots, Duties of Canvassers and Recount Process
School Opt Out Election Timeline
Opt Out Information for School Districts
Forms of Notices
How to Circulate Municipal and County Initiatives and Referendums
Municipal Recall Election Guidelines
Municipal & School Recount Manual
Register to vote
Where do I vote?
South Dakota Municipal League
Associated School Boards of South Dakota
South Dakota County Auditors
South Dakota Municipal Finance Officers
South Dakota School Business Managers