Register to Vote
Download a voter registration form by clicking this button:
Registering to vote in South Dakota is a simple and easy process. Follow the guidelines below to register to vote.
How to register:
Print the Voter Registration Form, fill-out the form, sign it and then submit it to your County Auditor. Your Voter Registration form with an original signature must be received by the auditor 15 days before any election if you wish to vote in that election. South Dakota law does not allow you to submit your voter registration form electronically.
You can use this form to:
- Register to vote in South Dakota
- Change your registration name or address
- Change your party affiliation
- Cancel your voter registration. You can do this by filling out the bottom portion of the voter registration form.
You may also register to vote at the following locations:
- County auditor's office
- Driver's license station (when you are renewing or applying for a driver's license you may also register to vote on the driver's license application)
- City finance office
- Public assistance agencies providing food stamps, TANF or WIC
- Department of Human Services offices which provide assistance to the disabled
- Military recruitment offices
- The South Dakota Republican Primary is closed to only registered Republicans
- The South Dakota Democratic Primary is open to registered Democrats and Independents, but not Republicans.
Voter Information Portal - Check your voter registration, precinct and polling place information
Voter Registration Drive Instructions
Agency Instructions and Forms