About the Notary Seal
A Notary Seal may be purchased at an office supply company, stationery store, or a print shop. There are two types of seals that are generally available for purchase – the embossing seal or the rubber stamp. Either of the two stamps is acceptable as a notary seal. The seal must contain:
- Applicant's name.
- The words "Notary Public" and "South Dakota".
- A border surrounding the imprint.
- If a rubber stamp is used, the word "Seal" must be included on the stamp.
- The words “My Commission Expires” are NOT to be inside the border of the seal, but may be placed outside the border.
- A notary must write, print or use a separate stamp imprint with the words "My commission expires" and the expiration date. If the words are printed on the form, the notary need not duplicate them.
- The official notary seal imprint on your Application, Oath and Bond is the only Seal imprint to be used when notarizing documents. If you find it necessary to have a different type of notary seal, you must first submit an imprint to our office before using a different notary seal.
- It is absolutely necessary that the imprint of the applicant's Notary Seal be included on the Application, Oath and Bond form when it is submitted to the Office of the Secretary of State.