Select a box and SCROLL DOWN

Lost or Stolen Seal

If a Notary Public's Seal is lost or stolen, report the loss or theft immediately to the Office of the Secretary of State so that a notation can be made on the Notary Public's records.

There are two options available to a Notary whose seal has been lost or stolen:

  1. The notary may continue to use their Notary Commission and have a new seal made. The seal can be identical to the original or it may be a different type. The new seal impression would have to be recorded with the Office of the Secretary of State. To record your new seal, please complete a Notary Change Form(Effective 12/6/2017) .
  2. The Notary may request that the Secretary of State cancel their present Notary Commission and ask that a new commission with a different expiration date be issued. The Notary would have to follow the Notary Public application procedure. You can find a copy of the application here(Effective 10/8/2018) .

In addition to whatever option is taken, the Notary may also wish to change the name on their Notary Commission and Seal. (Example: Elizabeth B. Jackson could be changed to Elizabeth Jackson or E.B. Jackson or Liz B. Jackson). The new impression of the Notary's Seal would have to correspond exactly to the way the name is signed and recorded with the Office of the Secretary of State.