Select a box and SCROLL DOWN

College Students

Voting South Dakota Resident

If you are a South Dakota resident who has moved to a new county to attend college, you can still vote. As a college student, you have two choices on where you register to vote.

1. Where you live now, whether that is an on-campus or off-campus address.
2. Remain registered and vote at your prior home address in South Dakota.

Students From Other States

Students who are from other states may choose to register to vote in South Dakota, or may vote absentee with their home state. Please visit your state's Secretary of State webpage to find any information on elections and voting.

Students Studying Abroad

If you will be out of the country and wish to vote, please cast an absentee ballot.

Register to Vote

In order to vote in any election in South Dakota, you must first be a registered voter. To vote in any election, the voter registration deadline is 15 days before the election. If you are not registered, please download a voter registration form on our voter registration page, then mail the form to your county election official.

How to Vote

Voting is easy and a right that you should not take for granted. You'll want to make sure to:

  • Know the location of your polling place
  • ID requirements

If you cannot make it to the polls on Election Day, please consider casting an absentee ballot.

In South Dakota, polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The busiest times of day to vote are before and after normal working hours. If you can, try going at less-busy times. If you are in line by the time the polls close, you must be allowed to cast your vote.

Still have questions?

Please call (605)773-3537 or email.