Select a box and SCROLL DOWN

Active Duty Military & Spouses

Any active duty military personnel or the spouse of a person who is active duty military with South Dakota as their home of record is considered to have met the residency requirements under SDCL 23-7-7.1 (6) (See also SDCL 23-7-7.5).

For military personnel that possess a regular concealed carry permit that expires while the holder is deployed outside of the holder's state of residence, the holder may complete the following application form (click here) and have his or her unit commander or commanding officer attest to the identity of the holder.

The application form and required accompanying documents are then mailed to the sheriff of the county of the holder's residence in South Dakota for the background check. If approved, the temporary permit will be forwarded to the military member (SDCL 23-7-8.12).