Register to Vote
Registering to vote in South Dakota is a simple and easy process. Follow the guidelines below to register to vote.
- Be a United States citizen
- Reside in South Dakota (residency defined)
- Be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- Not currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system (See additional felony information)
- Not be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law
How to register:
Print the Voter Registration Form or, fill-out the on-line form, complete it, sign it and then send it to your County Auditor. Your card must be received by the auditor 15 days before any election if you are to vote in the next election.
Download a voter registration form by clicking this button:
You can use this form to:
- Register to vote in South Dakota
- Change your registration name or address
- Change your party affiliation
You may also register to vote at the following locations:
- County auditor's office
- City finance office
- Driver's license station
- Public assistance agencies providing food stamps, TANF or WIC
- Department of Human Services offices which provide assistance to the disabled
- Military recruitment offices
- Mail-in registration with cards from the county auditor's office or from one of the links above.
- The South Dakota Republican Primary is closed to only registered Republicans
- The South Dakota Democratic Primary is open to registered Democrats and Independents, but not Republicans.
Voter Information Portal - Check your voter registration, precinct and polling place information
Voter Registration Drive Instructions
Agency Instructions and Forms