Municipal and School Information
2017 Municipal Election Calendar
2017 School Election Calendar
Learn how to circulate a Municipal Nominating Petition
*Signature requirements can be found at SDCL 9-13-9
- First and Second Class cities
- At large candidates need a minimum of 15 signatures per each thousand or major fraction of the population. No more than 50 signatures required.
- Alderman (Wards) candidates need a minimum of 5% of the registered voters of the ward. This percentage is based upon the total number of registered voters voting in the ward at the last preceding general election. The County Auditor will have to provide you with the total number for you to base the calculation off of. No more than 50 signatures required.
- Voters may sign as many petitions as there are positions.
- Third class cities
- At large candidates need a minimum of 10 signatures.
- Alderman (Wards) candidates need a minimum 5 signatures.
- Voters may sign as many petitions as they choose.
Municipal Nominating petition in Legal Size
Municipal Nominating petition in Letter Size
Learn how to circulate a School Board Nominating Petition
*A minimum of 20 signatures is required (SDCL 13-7-6)
School Board Nominating petition in Legal Size
School Board Nominating petition in Letter Size
Candidate Nominating Petition Validation Checklist
- Cities- please note that you are not required to check voter registration on nominating petitions.
- Schools- please note that you are required to check voter registration on nominating petitions. ARSD: 05:02:08:00
Recount Manual for Local Elections
October 18, 2016- Sioux Falls Ramkota
October 24, 2016- Rapid City Ramkota
November 18, 2016- Pierre Ramkota
Wednesday, Nov. 18 - Rapid City - Ramkota
Thursday, Nov. 19 - Pierre - Ramkota
Friday, Nov. 20 - Sioux Falls - Ramkota
School Opt Out Election Timeline
Forms of Notices
How to Circulate Municipal and County Initiatives and Referendums
Municipal Recall Election Guidelines
Municipal & School Recount Manual (Updated April 14, 2016)
Register to vote
Where do I vote?
South Dakota Municipal League
Associated School Boards of South Dakota
South Dakota County Auditors
South Dakota Municipal Finance Officers
South Dakota School Business Managers