Ballot Question Information
Welcome to the Ballot Question Information page. In this section users will find information, provided by the South Dakota Secretary of State's office.
- Deadline for submitting initiated constitutional amendment petition - November 4, 2019
- Deadline for submitting initiated measure petition - November 4, 2019
- Deadline for submitting referendum petition - 90 days after adjournment of legislature at which the law was passed
- Each constitutional amendment, initiated measure, or referred law that is approved by a majority of all votes cast is effective on the first day of July after the completion of the official canvass by the State Canvassing Board.
- If two or more initiated measures or amendments are approved but they conflict or are contrary to each other, the one receiving the highest number of YES votes will be effective. (SDCL 2-14-16.2)
- Click here to view the handout on how to Circulate a Statewide Ballot Question Petition in 2018
- For more detailed information on Potential 2018 Ballot Questions, click here