2018 Candidate Calendar
- Primary Election and Independent candidates may begin circulating petitions.
- Statement of Organization is due 15 days after becoming a candidate. The candidate committees that have not already filed a statement of organization, must file not later than 15 days after the date upon which the committee made contributions, received contributions or paid expenses in excess of $500 unless such activity falls within 30 days of any statewide election, in which case the statement of organization shall be filed within 48 hours.
- Current elected officials must file an Elected Official FIS no later than January 1.
Click here for more information.
- 2017 Year-End Campaign Finance Report is due by 5:00 pm CT
- County Party and Auxiliary Committees no longer have to file a year-end report.
- File this report online or print paper reports from here: https://sdcfr.sdsos.gov/
- Petition filing deadlines:
- March 27, 2018 for Primary Election candidates
- April 24, 2018 for Independent candidates
- Candidate Financial Interest Statements (FIS) must be filed within 15 days after filing in the office where the candidate nominating petition or convention nomination certification was filed.
- Pre-Primary Campaign Finance Report is due by 5:00 pm CT (if you are a legislative candidate and your name does not appear on the Primary ballot you are not required to file this report; all statewide candidates including independent statewide candidates have to file this report whether or not their name is printed on the Primary ballot).
- County Party and Auxiliary Committees no longer have to file a pre-primary report.
- January 2019: Elected Official Oath of Office & Financial Interest Statement must be filed in the office where the candidate nominating petition or convention nomination certification was filed within 15 days after taking your oath of office.
* All petitions and campaign finance reports that are filed with the Secretary of State are due by 5:00 pm CT on the deadline day.