Independent Candidate Information
Please note: Independent is not a political party in South Dakota.
- Independent candidates do not have to be registered as an Independent. A candidate may be registered with a political party and run as an Independent candidate by submitting an Independent Nominating petition.
- You will find the petition form for an independent candidate 05:02:08:05.
- Independent candidates are automatically put on the General Election ballot and do not have a Primary Election.
- Independent candidates CANNOT circulate petitions until on or after January 1, 2022.
- You will find signature requirements for independent candidates here. Independent candidates may collect signatures from any registered voter in the jurisdiction the candidate is running in.
- The deadline to submit an independent candidate nominating petition is April 26, 2022.
- Independent Sheriff candidates have to file a certification of qualification with the County Auditor (where they submitted their petitions) no later than June 7, 2022 (SDCL 23-3-43.1).