Business Entity Registration

Both non-profit and for-profit businesses must be registered with the Secretary of State's office. Out-of-state businesses must be registered before doing business in this state.

South Dakota Laws

For questions related to federal taxes and the different business and non-profit distinctions associated with federal tax organizational filings, please visit the IRS website at Also, note that the Secretary of State cannot answer questions about Internal Revenue Service requirements, filings or procedures.