Independent Candidate Information
Please note: Independent is not a political party in South Dakota.
- Independent candidates do not have to be registered as an Independent. A candidate may be registered with a political party and run as an Independent candidate by submitting an Independent Nominating petition.
- You will find the petition form for an independent candidate 05:02:08:05.
- Independent candidates are automatically put on the General Election ballot and do not have a Primary Election.
- Independent candidates CANNOT circulate petitions until on or after January 1, 2018.
- You will find signature requirements for independent candidates here. Independent candidates may collect signatures from any registered voter in the jurisdiction the candidate is running in.
- The deadline to submit an independent candidate nominating petition is April 24, 2018.
- Independent Sheriff candidates have to file a certification of qualification with the County Auditor (where they submitted their petitions) no later than June 5, 2018 (SDCL 23-3-43.1).
- Independent Governor and Lt. Governor candidates:
- Prior to circulating petitions the Independent candidates for Governor and Lt. Governor must sign a Declaration of Candidacy and Certification of Running Mate (SDCL 12-7-1.2). 05:02:08:05.01
- A Governor candidate must circulate petitions and collect at least 2,775 valid signatures. These petitions are submitted with the Secretary of State’s office.
- When a Governor candidate submits their petitions they must also submit the Declaration of Candidacy and Certification of Running Mate form that was signed prior to circulating petitions.
- Deadline for independent governor candidate to withdraw is August 7, 2018.
- If a Lt. Governor candidate wishes to withdraw, a replacement must be named and a new Declaration of Candidacy and Certification of Running Mate form must be submitted with the Secretary of State’s office no later than August 14, 2018.
- If a Lt. Governor replacement isn’t certified by August 14, 2018 then the independent candidate for Governor’s name will not be placed on the ballot (SDCL 12-7-1.2).