Brady Handgun Violence Protection Act
Effective January 23, 2017, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) approved the background check purchase exemption from the Brady Handgun Violence Protection Act for South Dakota Gold Card Permits and Enhanced Permits issued on or after 1/1/2017. Beginning January 1, 2017, the criteria for the background check changed to include federal disqualifiers under 18 U.S.C. 922(g) or (n). This is outlined in South Dakota Codified Law 23-7-54. As these requirements were not part of the FBI fingerprint background checks completed prior to 1/1/2017, ATF will not approve the background check purchase exemption for Enhanced Permits issued prior to this date.
If you have an Enhanced Concealed Carry Permit issued on or after 1/1/2017:
- Your card is currently recognized for concealed carry in 37 other states, including Nebraska and Minnesota. For a complete listing, refer to the left dashboard.
- Your card is already recognized for the purchase exemption.
If you have an Enhanced Concealed Carry Permit issued between 7/1/2015 and 12/31/2016:
- Your card is recognized for concealed carry in 37 other states, including Nebraska and Minnesota. For a complete listing, refer to the left dashboard.
- Legislation has been signed into law by the Governor, allowing you to update the issue date of your Enhanced Permit.
- If you wish to obtain the purchase exemption recognition, contact your county sheriff and request a new fingerprint background check. The fee is $43.25 payable South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI). This fee is required by the FBI to complete the check.
- Upon approval, the sheriff will request the Secretary of State's office to reissue your Enhanced Permit with a new issue date. The expiration date will be changed to five years from the new issue date. There is no additional fee for the new permit.
- A card with the new issue and expiration dates will be forwarded to you by our office. This card will then be recognized for the purchase exemption.