Steve Barnett

     Select a box and SCROLL DOWN

Services for Individuals FAQs

How do I become a notary?

  1. Before you submit the application, please make sure that you complete the following:
    1. Purchase a notary seal from any office supply store or printing company in your area. You may purchase an embossing seal or a rubber stamp. The seal must contain your "name", the words "Notary Public," and "South Dakota". If a rubber stamp is used the word "Seal" must be included and a border must surround the imprint of the seal. Once you have purchased a notary seal, make an imprint in the square box in the upper left hand corner of the application. Complete your residence address. If you reside in an out-of-state county bordering South Dakota, complete your Employer/Business name and South Dakota business address.
    2. Complete the previous notary commission question, date of birth and felony conviction question.
    3. Complete the oath and bond portions with your signature and the surety signature.
      1. The $5000 bond can be purchased from a local insurance company and you will pay the insurance company a premium for the six-year bond. If you do not want to purchase a notary bond, you may have a personal surety. To use a personal surety, omit the bond portion on the front page of the application and complete the Personal Surety Form.
      2. A personal surety can be a friend, relative, spouse or co-worker whom will sign on their own behalf and be liable for your $5000 bond if you perform any unlawful acts with your notary commission.
      3. A personal surety cannot be a company, business or organization and a personal surety cannot have his/her name removed for any reason.
    4. Enclose a $30.00 filing fee, Make checks payable to Secretary of State.
      All applications received without the above requirements will be returned to the applicant's address on the application.
    5. Failure to complete the application fully will result in denial of a Notary Public commission. A renewal requires the same procedure as an original application.
  2. How to Become a Notary

How do I get my Notary Seal?

  1. Notary Seal may be purchased at an office supply company, stationery store, or a print shop. There are three types of seals that are generally available for purchase -- the embossing seal, the rubber stamp and the perma-stamp. Any one of the three stamps is acceptable as a notary seal. The seal must contain the applicant's name, the words "Notary Public" and "South Dakota", and a border surrounding the imprint. If a rubber stamp is used, the word "Seal" must be included on the stamp.
  2. Getting a Notary Seal

What If I move?

  1. A Notary Public commission is good in any county in South Dakota. 
  2. What If I Move?

What if my name changes?

  1. There are three options available to someone who changes their name during the term of the Notary Public Commission:
    1. Continue to use the Notary Commission as it was issued. The notary would continue to sign their name using the surname on the commission.
    2. Continue to use the Notary Commission as it was issued and, at their option, add to their signature an appropriate notation such as "presently" or "now" and the new name. (Example: Sally Smith, presently Sally Jones)
    3. Change the name on the Notary Commission. If this option is selected, request a Notary Public Request to Change Record form from the Office of the Secretary of State. The Notary must purchase a new seal and place the imprint on the form. After this has been submitted to the Secretary of State, a Certificate of Correction will be issued without any additional filing fee. 
  2. Name Changes

How do I renew my Notary Public Commission?

  1. The process to renew your Notary Public commission is the same as when you first apply. Please complete a Notary Application-Oath and Bond form. Send the completed form with the $30.00 filing fee to:
    Office of the Secretary of State
    500 East Capitol, Ste 204
    Pierre, SD 57501
  2. If you wish to renew your Notary Public commission and would like to keep the same commission date and expiration date (month and day), you may do so by completing and mailing to the Office of the Secretary of State the Application-Oath and Bond form in advance of the expiration of the commission. If you would like a different expiration date than your previous commission, please indicate the date on which you wish to have your next six-year term begin. We must receive the Application prior to the date you have selected. 
  3. We cannot back date an application, and the commission date and the expiration date must be accurate.
  4. Renewal

What documents must be included in an Apostille and Authentication application?

  1. All Documents must include -
    1. An original signature
    2. An original South Dakota Notary Public signature
    3. $25.00 fee per document (Please make the check or money order payable to the Secretary of State. We also accept cash, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.)
  2. All cover letters must include -
    1. The name of the country where the documents will be sent. (Countries require different certifications and the document cannot be certified without this information.)
    2. A daytime phone number for possible questions.
    3. Information on where the documents should be mailed after processing. 
      We will only send the documents back by 1st class mail.  If you want to track your documents and/or want them mailed in a different manner, you must enclose a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for that service.
  3. If the document is a vital records document (birth certificate, marriage license, etc), then you must contact the county Register of Deeds office from the county where the document originated or the State Department of Health (605-773-4961) and request a certified copy of that document; then submit the certified copy to the Office of the Secretary of State with the filing fee of $25.00 per document.
  4. Apostilles & Authentications

How can I obtain a Concealed Pistol Permit?

  1. To obtain a Permit to Carry a Concealed Pistol contact the sheriff of the county which the you are a resident of (SDCL 23-7-7).
  2. Concealed Pistol Permits

Which states share reciprocity with South Dakota?

  1. Pursuant to SDCL 23-7-7.3 the Attorney General and the Secretary of State are currently working on reciprocity agreements for concealed weapons permits with a number of states.
  2. Reciprocity has been established with the following states:
    1. Alabama
    2. Alaska*
    3. Arizona
    4. Arkansas
    5. Colorado*
    6. Florida (including non-resident permits)*
    7. Georgia*
    8. Idaho
    9. Indiana
    10. Kentucky*
    11. Louisiana
    12. Maine
    13. Michigan*
    14. Mississippi
    15. Missouri
    16. Montana
    17. North Carolina*
    18. North Dakota (including non-resident permits)
    19. Oklahoma
    20. Pennsylvania
    21. Tennessee (including non-resident permits)*
    22. Texas
    23. Utah (including non-resident permits)*
    24. Virginia*
    25. West Virginia*
    26. Wyoming*
    *Only SD permits issued to those who are 21 years of age or older are recognized.
  3. Concealed weapons permit holders are responsible for checking with the proper authorities prior to carrying concealed weapons.
  4. Reciprocity Agreements

Who needs to register as a lobbyist?

  1. Anyone representing a corporation, organization, or state agency who wishes to testify on their behalf.
  2. Lobbyist & Employer Registration (EZ Lobby)

Where can I find executive documents?

Executive Actions